Last week, reports came out that boxer Floyd Maywether bet $3 million in a total of nine different sports books on the Alabama-Michigan game. Turned out that the reports were erroneous, but Maywether confirmed that he did make a huge pile of scratch on the NFL’s regular-season opener, a 24-17 win by the Dallas Cowboys over the New York Giants. Maywether laid $200,000 on the Cowboys in the second half, and came away a big winner when Dallas put up 17 points in the second half to overcome a 7-3 halftime deficit. This time, Maywether confirmed the win via his Twitter account : Not a bad little payday. This wouldn’t be the first time Maywether bet big on sports, but the rumors of his gambling aren’t always true — he denies once dropping $1.8 million on a regular-season L.A. Clippers game, but he did bet a cool $1 million against Tim Tebow’s Denver Broncos in their divisional playoff loss to the New England Patriots last season. He also has reportedly pocketed $900,000 on the results of a New Jersey (now Brooklyn) Nets-New York Knicks game. “A $50,000 bet, or a $100,000 bet, that’s a normal bet,” Maywether told MLive.com in April.
Most recent posts
- Broncos’ Welker adds more firepower
- Te’o off-limits to media but not Maxim party (The Associated Press)
- NFL roundup: Gronkowski surgery shows he’s clear of infection (The SportsXchange)
- Peyton Manning Charles Woodson would be a great addition (NBC Sports)
- ProFootballTalk Manning’s contract gives Broncos cap relief (NBC Sports)